Saturday, May 28, 2011

H1 The Keep on Shadowfell

My group is about to finish H1 The Keep on Shadowfell. This was a particularly tough run for me because the initial, "adventure," blows. The plot sucks, the encounters suck, the maps correspond to NO map sets that WOTC sells...all around it was just a crappy adventure. I relied heavily on Justin Alexander's remix of it over at his website The Alexandrian and added some spice of my own. Ind the end however it proved to be too long and boring a campaign with no real motivation to succeed for my players. When we finally got to the dungeon I decided to cut out the entire second level (and thus you will find some of the material for that area absent, the maps however are still present.) skipping straight to the final encounter. It is also worth noting that the levels of the monsters in the keep were terribly low, thus my encounter sheets assume that your characters are level 2-3 before entering the keep (high two, low three).

The materials (sans all 2nd level encounter sheets) can be found here.

Note: I did not start making the maps online until  the beginning of the keep when I learned that I had a printer. If you really need the initial maps then email me and I'll see what I can do, but to be frank they're pretty simple maps and you should be able to make one without too much trouble.

Note 2: I have access to a plotter which is essentially a very large printer (mine does x by 36 inches) and thus all the maps are this size. You can generally print from a plotter at your local staples, etc. for something like 50 cents a foot, which would make printing all the maps for this encounter (in B&W) something like $20-$30. If you don't want to do this you can always cut them into 8.5" x 11" slices and paste them together.

However to be frank unless you're just starting out I don't really think you should run this encounter as is. Feel free to pillage my maps and notes but honestly the encounter was a bad first D&D experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment